Inline images hardly working

If I add some inline images to an issue, I have noticed the following problems:

• simply clicking “Add” to submit the issue results in no images being inlined

• clicking “Preview”, then “Back”, then “Add” results in no images being inlined

• clicking “Preview”, then “Add” usually results in the images successfully being inlined

• if there are many images, some of them are inlined and some are not, even with the (relatively) successful approach above

In all cases the images are successfully attached to the issue, just not inlined. Makes things kinda frustrating when there is more than 1 or 2 images in an issue.

Could you get this sorted out… thanks!

Hi Chris,

thank you for raising this. Sorry for the inconvenience you’ve faced.

When adding images into the issue, a line of code will be automatically added. It appears in this format and is always added as a new line.

You will notice there’s a space between the code and the top of the description text field (where I have not entered any text). That’s because the image code is added as a new line.

Hence, in order to make the image appear inline with your text, you’ll have to edit the text. Please take a look at the examples below:

Inline image code have to be on the same line as the text. 

As a result, the images will be displayed as:

For multiple images added to the issue, the image code will appear one above another, like:

This will cause the images to show one above another. 

Because it’s a matter of individual preference, whether to display certain images as inline or below text, thus we’ve left it to users to edit the description text and arrange the images as they see fit.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue? 

Thanks for the reply. Actually when I said “inline”, I was just meaning images that display anywhere in the body of the post, instead of only as attached files at the bottom.

The problem was that instead of an image, only the text markers like this would be displayed in the body:

#image(Guitar.png)

I can’t seem to reproduce it now, and when I look at my original post that had this problem, all the images are showing (even for posts where they’re not listed in attachments, extra weird…)

Interesting that the image markers I see use a hash prefix, but yours have exclamation marks, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Oh, about the text markers, I’m using markdown formatting rules, that’s why it’s different from #image(imagename.png) — which is Backlog formatting rules.

You can change the formatting rules by going to Project Settings > General, and it’s on the page: 

(Support page on Project Settings in case you need a reference.)

Correction: You might be right, Chris.

If someone changes the formatting rules, previously added images are still attached, however the image display code no longer works.

For example, if you used markdown code for the images, and the formatting rules were changed to Backlog, then markdown code no longer works and images will not display.

But I suppose you’re not facing the problem anymore, so that’s great :slight_smile:

That said, I’ve reported your issue to our developers as feedback. If we have insights on it, I’ll update again. If it happens again, just let us know too. Thank you!

Apologies, I updated the reply with a correction:

If someone changes the formatting rules, previously added images are still attached, however the image display code no longer works.

For example, if you used markdown code for the images, and the formatting rules were changed to Backlog, then markdown code no longer works and images will not display.

We have not changed any formatting rules (actually didn’t know that option existed I think).

Okay, it happened again just now. Here is what I saw when I clicked “Preview”

Then while looking at this preview view, I clicked “Add”. When I look at the issue now, it seems that the attachments are actually gone completely:

There’s definitely something not right here. Thanks again for looking into it for us.

Hi Chris, thanks for the update and images. That’s an issue.

I’ve escalated it to our support team to investigate.

Hi Chris,

we tried to reproduce the error on our side but we just couldn’t.

From what I gather here, it seems that the error has happened on 2 separate occasions?

To investigate further, it would be better to move to email for privacy reasons.  Can you reply the following below via our support email address? It’s support@backlog.com 

• Does this error occur often? Or only happened once?

• Can you check if there are any errors showing in your browser?

• Can you take a short screen video showing how you added images? Can you send us the images and video, so we can check?

My colleagues in Support will be handling it. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.