Import tasks and milestones to your calendar

In order to have a better overview of your work and personal schedule, you can import your Backlog tasks and project milestones to your own calendar.

We will share on:

• How to import tasks to your calendar
  • How to import project milestones to your calendar
  • FAQ: I’ve updated my tasks/milestones, why isn’t it published in the calendar yet?

How to import tasks to your calendar

At your Dashboard, click on the Calendar Import button at My Issues section, and a prompt with calendar URL will pop up.

If you are importing to your Apple’s calendar, you can directly select the link provided: “Click here to import into Apple’s iCal”.

If you are importing to another calendar, such as Google Calendar or Microsoft Outlook, copy the URL and use it to set up a calendar (from URL or web) in those services.

For instructions on setting up a calendar, see:

Note: You’ll need to first enable Private Addresses in your personal settings before copying/using the URL, for importing to calendars like Google Calendar. Simply click on the link in the popup: set up Private addresses. For more info, please refer to our Backlog support guide on Private Address Settings.

After importing, this is how it looks in my Google Calendar for example:

Only tasks with at least a start or due date are imported and displayed on the calendar, e.g. task [COMDEMO-14] Fix bug A. Tasks without both start and due dates are not imported.

How to import project milestones to your calendar

At the Project Home page, click on the Calendar Import button at the Milestone section, and a prompt with calendar URL will pop up.

Then, it is similar to the earlier instructions on importing tasks.

After importing the milestone, this is how it looks on my Google Calendar for example:

The milestone’s end date is displayed, e.g. milestone [COMDEMO] Sprint 1, where COMDEMO refers to the project key.

FAQ: I’ve changed my task/milestone information, why isn’t it published in the calendar yet?

Some frequently asked questions:

Are the task/milestone updates syncing with the calendar?

Yes, updates like new tasks/milestones or changes in their start/due dates will be synced with the calendar.

Why aren’t changes published in the calendar yet?

This depends on the refresh interval of the calendar services that are subscribed to updates from Backlog. Typically, updates may take up to 48 hours to be reflected in Google Calendar, for example.